Australia’s most awarded solo-cook Pitmaster, Adam Roberts, has shared one of his favourite recipes. This vegetarian Woodfired Portobello Mushrooms & Grilled Halloumi Cheeseburger is a droolworthy summer staple and can easily be made with and without meat.
Check it out below.
Cook Time 20 mins
– 4 x Portobello Mushrooms
– 4 x Brioche Buns
– Olive oil for drizzle
– Kosher Salt
– Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
– Halloumi Cheese
– ½ cup fine chopped White Onion
– Shoestring fries or Potato Wedges
– Kingsford Charcoal with Applewood for an authentic smoky flavour.
1. Wash and pat dry four large portobello mushrooms, discarding the bulk of the stumps. Fire up the grill using Kingsford with Applewood briquets. Drizzle olive oil and add a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to each mushroom. Add to the grill.
2. Flip the mushrooms every minute or so, until they become soft and slightly charred. Rest mushrooms in foil for a few minutes while you prepare the buns.
3. Lightly toast the inside face of the buns and the haloumi over the charcoal until the cheese warms through and the buns are lightly toasted. Load the buns with ketchup, mustard, pickles, chopped onion before adding the mushroom and haloumi cheese.
Serve with a side of seasoned shoestring or potato wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce for a complete meal.